Lady Hawks Basketball Eyeing League Title

David Tesch, Sports Writer

Lakeland Lady Hawks basketball will begin their season soon, and they will look to make an impact in the 4A ranks. 

Last season, the girls’ varsity team went 10-18. Finishing 15th in their class. This season, they believe that they have the potential to win the 4A league title. 

Coach Seymour will return as the girls varsity basketball coach. He has been coaching girls’ basketball for more than 26 years. Before Lakeland, he coached five years at another school.  Having 30-plus years of coaching on his belt, he knows a thing or two about basketball. 

Head coach Steve Seymour discussed his two star seniors: Katy Ryan and Abbey Neff. This dynamic duo of size and speed is a threat to teams that cross their path. A newcomer to the team is freshman Lila Keifer, who just helped volleyball win state.

It’s a sport that’s tough to even make a team because of having to try out for a team that only a certain amount of people can be on. 

With COVID-19 protocols still in place, Seymour explained that the season will look different, but the players are making it as enjoyable as this season can be.

“The team’s greatest strength is how the players can get along, it’s always nice to have a team that works with each other,” Coach Seymour said. 

The first girl’s varsity basketball game against post falls is on Thursday, November 19 at 7p.m. at the Lakeland High School gym.

Advertisements
Ad 3