Overcoming Obstacles

Lady Hawks Reflect on State Championship Season

Overcoming+Obstacles

David Tesch and Devon Howell

In the 2020 season, the Lakeland Hawks volleyball team had an amazing season ending with a state championship title. 

This was the volleyball team’s first state championship since Lakeland has moved from the 3A classification to 4A. The Lady Hawks finished the season with a 10 win and 6 loss record. They also won the state tournament sportsmanship award. 

In the first round of the state competition the Lady Hawks would sweep 5A Preston High School. In the second round they would sweep 4A Burly High School, leaving the Hawks undefeated in the state tournament so far. 

In the final round, Lakeland would sweep the last team standing in their way of the state title, 3A Middleton High School.

When asked how they felt about how they did this season Abby Neff and Lila Kiefer said “I think we did really good, we had to fight through a lot of adversity with COVID and everyone stepped up and overcame the obstacles.” 

The Lady Hawks felt that their harder schedule is what made them better then other teams they faced this season. This season they played more 5A teams then a normal season; teams such as Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls High School.

The Lady Hawks also mention that they held each other accountable and didn’t break each other down when someone made an error. They worked hard as a team and broke down every barrier that got in the way this season 

Senior Abby Neff said, “What I will miss about this school is the volleyball family that I have made while at Lakeland High School”

The legacy that Abby Neff hopes to leave behind is that everyone can be a leader not just the team captain. 

The Lady Hawks have three seniors on the team this year: Abby Neff, Olivia Cooper and Katy Ryan. 

Lakeland is very proud of their volleyball team this year with how hard they played and their great success. The seniors will be missed at Lakeland High School