‘That Guy’

A Q&A with Blake Mattern

That+Guy

Blake is a senior at Lakeland High School. He has been at Lakeland since freshman year. Upon first meeting him he seems like a funny guy. He describes himself as “that guy.” He has reddish hair and his favorite color is blue, which he says is “a pretty basic, but good color.”

Q: What are some of your hobbies?
A: “Most of the time I am playing video games and collecting old firearms. I do these because I find the most interest in them.”

Q: What are your plans for after high school?
A: “ I am planning on going to the University of Idaho. I do not know what I am doing just yet, but I hope I get a good job, but I am always crossing my fingers to win the lottery.”

Q: What do you do in your free time?
A: “I mostly play video games and from time to time I do work around the house when it is needed. recently I have been doing lots of shoveling because of the snow.”

Q: What is one of your biggest accomplishments?
A: “I am a very accomplished young man, freshman year Mr. Dunn had Shakespeare ap battle and even though I did not know any rap, I won. I also own the world’s largest air guitar collection.”

Q: How did you accumulate a large air guitar collection?
A: “One day I saw someone rocking out with one and that’s when I knew I needed one.”

Q: Do you play any instruments?
A: “My mom told me I should learn an instrument so I learned piano, I did not want to, in fact, I wanted to do the drums, but my mom told me that was not a real instrument. After a few years of piano, I was able to do the drums. The piano is cooler because you can play a lot more on it, and a guitar is there is not much opportunity.”

Q: What is your dream job?
A: “Being a gunsmith, I do not think they pay a whole lot, but it would be a cool hobby. Guns are kind of pretty cool, I grew up with guns and I went shooting with my dad I like the variety and I slowly got into it.”

Q: If you could say one thing to your younger self, what you you say?
A: “I do not think I have a whole lot to say to my younger self. I would change my past, but even if I did, I do not want to lose those memories.”

Q: What is your favorite conspiracy theory?
A: “I really like the ‘earth is flat’ theory. I don’t think it is true, but it is funny how people think it is true. I mean wouldn’t people fall off the world if it was flat? Explain the mountain, how is that flat?”

Q: Who would you hire to play the role of you in your life?
A: “Ryan Reynolds; he’s got a good beard. He makes me look more handsome than I am, and I think we have the same humor.”