Green and Gold brings the Heat

On Nov. 26, the Lakeland Hawks wrestling team competed in their green versus gold team duel. 

Green and Gold is an annual event where the Hawks wrestle against each other to determine varsity and JV rosters. 

The Hawks had a lot of wrestlers who had tough matches that could have gone either way.

At 98 pounds, Caleb Adam received a forfeit and the varsity spot. 106-pound Jaren Knopp won the varsity spot for his second year in a row. Knopp and Adams wrestled in an exhibition match that ended in a pin by Knopp.

113-pound Duke Williamson received a forfeit. The 120-pound match win went to senior Matt Williams, who is on varsity for his fourth time. Williams and Williamson also wrestled in an exhibition that ended in a pin by Williams.

The 126-pound match was won by Cole Cooper, a freshman wrestler for the Hawks, as he defeated his sophomore opponent Justin Baxter with a pin.

At 132 pounds, freshman Kaleb Hammer won by a significant decision of 7-2 against sophomore Austin Howell. 

The 138-pound match would be won by senior John Meredith, as he would get the major decision of 18-9 against sophomore Kros O’Brien.

The 145-pound match came down to the wire as Thayer Sabatke would capture the win against his senior opponent Owen Rose with a significant decision of 8-3. 

The 150-pound match was won by freshman Payten Sardinha, as he beat his junior opponent  Colin Killian with a pin.

Wyatt Berger won the 160-pound match via forfeit. The 170-pound match went to Raymond Marquez due to a forfeit. Berger and Marquez wrestled an exhibition that ended with a pin by Berger.

The 182-pound matches would also be a forfeit, giving the varsity spot to Gage Oles.

Senior Bradley Grubham won by decision in the 195-pound match, 13-7, against junior Hans Pluid.

When asked how he felt about his match, Grubham said, “I felt like I did a good job. I wrestled hard. There are definitely things that I can still work on to improve, but overall, it was a good match.” 

The 220-pound match-up was won by Devon Howell as he took down sophomore Daemion Austin. Howell won by a significant decision of 22-9.

The final match of the night was the 285-pound match, won by Preston Jeffs as he secured a varsity spot once again with a pin. 

Head Coach William Edelblute said, “It was a good night. We wrestled a lot of good matches. However, I saw some things that we can work on, and that will help us win in matches to come.”