Volleyball Season Comes to an End

Rylee Dragon, Sports Editor

That’s a wrap for the Hawks 2022 volleyball season. 

Although they did not make it to the State Tournament, Lakeland ended the season with a record of 8-7. 

The team held the #5 spot in the Idaho 4A division despite not making it past the district championship. 

Lakeland swept both the Sandpoint Bulldogs(5-11) and Timberlake Tigers(1-17) in October. Another big win took place in Lewiston, Idaho, when the Hawks defeated the 5A Bengals. 

A final loss against league rival Moscow ended their season short, but it didn’t stop the team from making memories.

Numerous players speak highly of their win in the conference match against Coeur d’ Alene high school. The Hawks beat the Vikings three sets to one. 

“Senior night with Kenna and all the seniors with their speeches was my favorite game of the season,” said Landree Simon. 

Players are emotional regarding the number of seniors that will be leaving the team. Senior Kenna Simon played her last game with her younger sister, Landree. 

Regarding her main focus this season, sophomore Layla Benson said, “I feel like I was set on playing up. I previously floated, but I didn’t play on varsity, so I was focused.” 

Addison Raebel, Ellie Carlson, and Emily Morlan will not be returning next year due to graduation. In the near future, some graduates will plan to pursue collegiate volleyball. 

“I personally focused on my hitting. I want to play college volleyball, so improving my hitting would be very helpful. I think Ellie benefitted us this season by always bettering the ball and using her voice every play,” said Raebel. 

“I had to work to get better at middle back. That was my position at the beginning of the season, so I had to continue to train at that spot,” said Addy Hocking. 

When asked who positively impacted the team, everyone mentioned senior Ellie Carlson. Carlson was the libero for the Hawks, constantly leading the team on defense. 

“Next season, I want to focus on more team bonding to get closer so we can trust each other in games,” said Ziya Munyer. 

The Hawks may have not ended the season as they imagined, but they’re ready to return in 2023.