The Stonewall Senior

Devon Howell, Sports Writer

At 6 feet 7 inches, it is pretty hard not to notice senior Preston Jeffs roaming through the halls at Lakeland High School. Jeffs is a three-sport varsity athlete for the Hawks. He plays football, track, and wrestling. 

Jeffs is a great leader on the field. He always makes an extra effort to coach and help younger players. 

In wrestling, Jeffs placed 6th in the 4A district 2 classification at 285 pounds in February of 2022 at the Idaho State High School Wrestling Championships in Pocatello. Jeffs has been wrestling since he was in 7th grade and has been on varsity since his freshman year. 

Jeffs said, “If I could talk to myself as a little kid, I would tell him to keep fighting for our dreams and not to give up no matter what people say you can or can’t do.

Jeffs also throws shotput for the track and field team. He has been doing track since 7th grade, and he has been on the varsity team for four years.

Preston has played his favorite sport, football, since kindergarten. He has played at the varsity level all four years of high school. He plays both sides for the Hawks, starting at both left tackle and nose guard. 

In his second consecutive season starting at left tackle, Jeffs has played a significant role in the Hawks high powered run game. So far in his senior season, Jeffs has helped the Hawks come out of the gate strong with a 5-1 record.

One of Preston’s most significant accomplishments is making the US All-American team for football.  

Jeffs currently has 12 colleges looking at him to play football for them but still has not received any official offers.

When asked who his favorite coach over the years has been, Jeffs said, “My dad has been my favorite coach because without him pushing me, I would probably not be as successful as I am.”

When Jeffs is not at practice, he likes to attend other school sports events, such as volleyball or basketball, to get more people involved in the sports community at Lakeland. 

Jeffs also likes to play video games in his free time, such as NBA2k, with his friends and teammates. Jeffs is always finding a way to get closer to his teammates, whether it’s swimming after summer workouts or going to the movies when the weather cools down.

The Hawks have their next matchup this Friday, Sept. 30, on the road against the Timberlake Tigers at 7 p.m. in Spirit Lake, Idaho.