Hoffman Steps in As Interim Principal

Samantha Fuller, News Editor

Jimmy Hoffman was chosen to be interim principal at Lakeland High School for the 2022-2023 school year. 

Trent Derrick, the former Principal at LHS, is now the assistant superintendent of the Coeur d’ Alene School District.  

Hoffman was previously the vice principal at LHS before Derrick started his new position. 

Many of the students at LHS are very excited to see Hoffman as principal and see what he can accomplish for LHS. 

“I think it’s awesome that Hoffman was able to step in. I’m excited to see the impact he will make on our school this year,” Ethan Abbott said. 

Abbott is one of many to be excited about Hoffman’s new role in the school. Oliver Everett believes that Hoffman is the perfect man for the job.

“Hoffman is definitely qualified. He has done so much for our school and done all the hard work,” Everett said. “He has been dealing with dishes and discipline for years now. I think he deserves the job, so it was no surprise when I heard the news.” 

Hoffman is very grateful that he was considered for the job and is taking this opportunity to help further the school.

“I’m extremely humbled and excited for the opportunity,” Hoffman mentioned. “I was scared to death to take on such a huge responsibility, but that fear has grown into excitement.”

Hoffman is coming into the 2022-2023 school year with goals that will help students in their high school careers. 

“My goal is to create a positive environment for the kids and the school, with high expectations. If we can set both these standards, that is key,” Hoffman said. 

Being interim principal still has its learning curves for Hoffman, but having help from staff and students at LHS has been a huge help for him.

“I don’t know what I don’t know still. I will turn the corner and run into a problem that I did not know was a problem,” Hoffman mentioned. “However, working here with all these people, everyone is so good at what they do, so I can trust them to do what they have to do. When you work with people you trust, it makes things so much easier.”

The things that Hoffman has run into as interim principal has not made him lose his excitement for the job. 

“There is more to be grateful for and excited for than there is to be worried about,” Hoffman said. “I am most excited to see the success of our school and students. I still love working with kids, and student success is our success.”

Hoffman has high hopes for the school year and is hopeful for the achievements at LHS. 

“I do not take my job for granted. I am grateful every day to be doing what I do, and I can’t wait to see the success of our students this year.”