Moon Knight Review

SPOILERS

Moon Knight Review

Rachel Foreman, Opinions Writer

Moon Knight came to Disney+ on March 30, 2022, it had 6 episodes and ended on May 4, 2022.

This show may be confusing when you first watch it because the main character Steven Grant played by Oscar Isaac, has a mental disorder called Dissociative Identity Disorder. 

Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) is a mental health condition, where a person will have two or more separate identities. These identities control a person’s behavior at different times. 

DID is a reaction to traumatic events to help a person avoid bad memories and they will “switch” between identities. 

This is used many times in the show when Steven Grant will switch his identity to Marc Spector, and to a possible third identity. They are the avatar of the Egyptian god Khonshu who is trying to stop the antagonist Arthur Harrow and the goddess Ammit. 

The Egyptian gods use avatars to do various tasks for them. 

As you go through the show you learn more about the antagonist Arthur Harrow who is the avatar and serves the Egyptian Goddess Ammit. Throughout the show, he tries to release her because she was cast away in a miniature statue by the other gods. 

Some more important characters in Moon Knight is Layla El-Faouly who is the wife of Marc Spector, she helps in the fight to stop Arthur Harrow and Ammit. 

The goddess Taweret who helps guide Steven Grant and Marc Spector through the Ancestral Plane that is introduced later in the show. She also helps in the fight against Ammit when she allows Layla to become her avatar. 

Some students who watched the show shared their opinion. 

Emily Isenberg said “I really enjoyed watching Moon Knight, I was a little confused at first because the beginning doesn’t really explain what is going on, but as I got through the show it started to all make sense. I thought the Egyptian gods were pretty interesting”

Zack Rose said ¨It’s really well written and has a plot that keeps you guessing what will happen next. Oscar Isaac represented all the characters well, it kinda sucks that there was only 6 episodes¨

Moon Knight was received pretty well by critics and by normal people who watched the show, on Rotten Tomatoes it was given a rating of 87%. 

On IMDb Moon Knight was given a rating of  7.6/10.

I personally really enjoyed watching Moon Knight, I thought bringing Egyptian gods into the MCU was a good addition to the universe.

Bringing in a lesser-known character gives more variety and I can’t wait to see if Moon Knight will have a second season or be in any future movies.