Reading in Class

Hadley West, Opinions Writer

In all English classes, reading books must be in the curriculum and teachers go through the struggle of trying to get students to actually read the books. Many teachers use the method of popcorn reading or reading aloud as a class. 

Popcorn reading or reading as a class is torture for many students. 

In some aspects, the idea of reading aloud as a class is beneficial for many students, but for other students this teaching method brings anxiety. 

Some students are efficient readers and enjoy popcorn reading in class while others think that the method is the end of the world. 

Jamie Page-Hilbert, the behavior interventionist at Lakeland High School says that she did not enjoy popcorn when she was in high school. When I asked what she thought of teachers still using this method she said, “It makes kids pay attention to the material.. I think it’s an option but it should not be the go-to method”. 

No matter what kind of method teachers use to make children read, many still won’t.

Wyatt Aramburu, a junior at Lakeland High School enjoys popcorn reading and thinks that it is the best method to make the students read the book.

“It gives everyone a chance to read and antisocial people a chance to get out of their bubble… It is not just the people’s opinion you are listening to, it is the book.,” Aramburu said. 

The pros of listening and reading in class definitely outweigh the cons.

Many may argue that only students that have enough literary skills should have to take a turn to read. If one person has to read though we all should have to. 

In my opinion, popcorn reading is a truly awful thing made to make children feel embarrassed and nervous, but it is the most efficient way to ensure students listen. I personally occasionally listen when we popcorn read because I know that my name will eventually get called on. Students can always find a reason to not read.

When the teacher reads the book, other students volunteer, or we listen to the audiobook I never actually listen. I don’t remember the last time I listened to a book in class. Obviously, it would be more beneficial for me if I listened.  When I and any student can google a summary online of the material, why would I listen?