What It’s Like To Be A New Athlete?

Melia Blackwell, Opinions Writer

The chances of being accepted onto a team when you have never played the sport can result in a 50/50 chance of being cut or accepted.

Athletes that make the team would, of course, feel a sense of accomplishment but could feel left out due.

You look around Lakeland and there are posters and teachers asking students to participate in golf, or tennis. Not a lot of people are joining sports this year. 

Teams are small and coaches try to recruit members no matter their experience or who they are they just want someone who wants to play.

Can this take a toll on their performance? Yes and no, everyone has to learn somewhere but in high school, most of the athletes have played baseball, basketball, football, etc… since grade school.

Their experience and skill decide what team they’ll join which can come off as unfair to the new recruits who have a better chance of getting C team over JV or Varsity.

In grade school, I tried to play softball due to my knowledge of baseball because of a family member who played in little league, districts, and state when they were in high school. 

Even though I had experience and softball was only slightly different than baseball, I felt as if I were slowing the team down and had no idea what I was doing. I quit the team because of it and since then, I haven’t gone back into sports.

Maverick Gerrior is what some could say ‘amazing’ at golf, he made the team as a freshman in high school, and just like his dad he has a powerful swing along with a decent aim. But he’s new to highschool sports and even though he’s skilled it’s a matter of proving it.

As a result of feeling like you have no idea how to play a sport so you ‘probably shouldn’t join the team’ there are many people who are willing to teach you how to play if you have the motivation to learn.