Seniors Go on Financing Field Trip

Rachel Foreman, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Seniors went to Real Life Ministries to participate in a life simulation given by STCU to see how students would pay for everyday necessities and how they would save their money.

Trent Derrick, the principal at Lakeland stated “This is a trip that puts our students in real-life scenarios that requires them to make some tough decisions regarding finances.”

“This event ties into our goal of assisting students to be successful after they graduate, I believe it has a lot of positives for our students,” Derrick said. 

When students arrived at the event at Real Life Ministries they were given a packet, a transaction register, and a card. The card said what occupation you had, if you had a spouse or children, how much you made monthly, and how much debt you have.  Every student had a unique card with different scenarios. Some were easier while others were much harder.

There were tables set up so the students would have to make decisions about how much they wanted to pay for their bills, some were optional, for example, internet, cable, and streaming services. Some bills you had to pay like power and utilities, cellphone, and medical bills.

If they were given children from the scenario, they were shown how much they can be by showing how much diapers, formula, and childcare was, on average it was around one thousand dollars per month. 

They also have to choose whether you bought or rented a house and how the prices can vary. In the simulation, it was $700-$2500. Transportation was also costly, you had the option to have a bus service and if you had a spouse you had to give them a car or a bus service.

The simulation also showed how much groceries could be, you had to choose a grocery plan and dining out plan, and combined they can be up to one thousand dollars a month.

After all the necessities you had more fun options if your funds allowed it, like electronics, clothing, and activities.

In the event, the students were told to have one hundred dollars or less in their account so they were encouraged to put your remaining money into savings accounts if your budget allowed it. Many people didn’t have the money to do so and were put into the negative. 

This event does a good job at showing seniors how everyday life can be outside of high school and gives us an idea on how to prepare for it.