STEM Trip for Sophomore Girls

Malia Batman, Staff Writer

Are you wondering what to do after high school? Do you like STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)? The University of Idaho has a great program for women interested in STEM. 

On March 3rd, Post Falls, Timberlake, Clark Fork, Lake Ponderay, and Lakeland’s sophomore girls got to experience this first hand. 

10-30 girls from each school took a trip to the University Idaho’s Organic Argicultur Center located in Sandpoint, Idaho.  

The University of Idaho is a huge supporter of women engineer and have teamed up with 90 other engineering colleges. 

All five of the schools sat down in the fireside dining hall, Nine representatives came in and introduced themselves, and answered questions from staff and students. 

Mellisa Clemons is one of the guest speakers that spoke to the girls about college, undergraduate school, and graduate school. 

Clemons states “ I have loved science since I was little, my second-grade teacher pushed me to do it, I and another girl got put into a fifth-grade class because we were really advanced for it.” 

Clemons goes on to say “ I always knew I was going to do something bigger than myself.” 

Lary Stauffer is a professor and acting CEO at the University of Idaho Coeur d’ Alene. Larry had been with the University of Idaho for 34 years now. 

A good option for high school students who want to go to college is starting a 529 savings account. With this kind of savings account, you do not have to worry about paying taxes on it and you or your parents can go to the bank and set it up now, and you do collect interest on it.