Hawks Split First Duals of Season

Colin Killian, Sports Writer

The Lakeland Hawks wrestling team had their first two duals of the year Wednesday night against a pair of local 5A foes

The Hawks rolled the Lake City Timberwolves 54-26, but then fell to the Coeur d’Alene Vikings 44-15.

In the first dual, the Timberwolves came out strong and won the first match of the night at 160 pounds. Annika Thompson lost in the first period.

The Hawks then won the next match at 170 with Devon Suko pinning Sebastion Mosman in 56 seconds. The Hawks then had a forfeit at 182 pounds with RJ Marquez getting the win. 

At 195 pounds for the Hawks was junior Hutton Hegbloom. It was a tough match, but unfortunately Hegbloom took the loss with a major decision 9-1. The Hawks then had a forfeit at 220 pounds with Devin Howell taking the win.

Then, at heavyweight, for the Hawks it was junior Preston Jeffs, against Xavier Johnson. Jeffs took the win in 1 minute and 27 seconds.

The next match for the Hawks was a tough match at 106 pounds. For the Hawks it’s Jaren Knopp against Zach Macdonald. Knopp got off his back and avoided the pin many times but eventually lost 10-2.

The next two matches were first round pins for the Hawks with Matthew Williams at 113 and Duke Williamson at 120. The next two matches were losses for the Hawks with Reilly Saxe and John Meridith both getting pinned.

The next three matches for the Hawks were all wins. With Lucas Willams, Payden Wysong, and Weston Sobel and all of them pinning their guy.

The Hawks came out strong in the next dual against the Vikings winning the first match at 170 pounds with Devon Sukko winning by a score of 8-2. 

The next match was at 182 with Hutton Hegbloom pinning Louis Mcevoy at the beginning of the second period. 

The Hawks then lost the next four matches. One of the matches was a tough match at 106 pounds. Freshman Jaren Knopp took on senior Christian Kelly. It was a hard fought match with Knopp getting off his back multiple times, but still unfortunately lost 12-4. Kelly showed good sportsmanship and after the match gave some pointers to Knopp.

The next match was at 113 pounds. Matthew Williams came out with the win with a pin in the first period.

The Hawks then lost four matches all by pins except for the 138 pound match up where Lucas Williams lost by a major decision 15-2.

The Hawks next match is the Inland Empire Classic Dec. 10, and  Dec. 11, at Central Valley High School (WA).

Advertisements
Ad 3