Swimmers Make a Splash at State

Garrett Love, Sports Writer

The Lakeland Hawks Swim team competed in State this past weekend.

In total, the Lady Hawks swim team finished in 13th place, tied with Kimberly High school with 35 points. 

Sydney Garrity competed in a couple of events and performed very well. She participated in the 50-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, and 200-yard freestyle relay.  

In the 50-yard freestyle, she finished in 8th place with a time of 27.60 seconds. In the 100-yard breaststroke, she finished in 3rd place with a time of 1 minute and 17 seconds. 

When asked what pushed her to succeed, Garrity said, “My mom being there even though parents weren’t supposed to watch helped give me a ton of confidence, and so did my teammates.”

The Lakeland Hawks 200-yard freestyle relay team finished with a time of 1 minute and 50.29 seconds. This relay team consisted of Annika Olson, Sydney Garrity, Avery Sabatke, and Sarah Smith. This team finished in districts with a time of 1 minute and 52.42 seconds, beating that time in state by over two seconds. This improvement earned them a 6th place finish after not placing top 10 in districts. 

Annika Olson competed in the 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, and 200-yard freestyle relay. Annika finished in 9th place with a time of 2 minutes and 15.74 seconds.

The Lakeland Boys swim team finished in 17th place, tied with Bonneville Highschool with 10 points.

Logan Harris was one of the multiple male swimmers for the Hawks who competed in state. He participated in the 200-yard freestyle, 400-yard freestyle relay, and 100-yard freestyle. 

“I was very confident going into state knowing that I had a ton of experience from past races, and I’m very excited for next season and hope to make state again,” Harris said. 

In the 200-yard freestyle, Harris finished in 11th place with a time of 2 minutes and 4.18 seconds.

The Lakeland Hawks 400-yard freestyle relay team finished in 9th place with a time of 3 minutes and 51.47 seconds. This team consisted of Logan Harris, Jeremiah Couper, Micah Minix, and Ethan Abbott.

Ethan Abbott, another swimmer for the Lakeland swim team, competed in the 200-yard IM. Abbott finished in 14th place with a time of 2 minutes and 23.77 seconds.

Advertisements
Ad 3