Lady Hawks win back to back to become League Champs

David Tesch, Editor-in-Chief

The Lakeland Hawks varsity volleyball team beat both Lake City Timberwolves and Sandpoint Bulldogs in their final two regular-season games to become 4A Inland Empire League Champs. 

On October 12th, the Lady Hawks(8-8) hosted the Lake City Timberwolves (11-6). The Hawks would win 3-2 against the 5A School. 

Entering the game, The Lady Hawks were looking for redemption against the Lady Timberwolves, who won their last matchup 3-1. 

The Lady Hawks were riding a three-game winning streak and looked to continue on the streak against the Lady Timberwolves. 

In the first set, the Lady Hawks started off strong by winning 25-17 and bringing in good momentum into the next set. 

The Lady Timberwolves weren’t done though, after their defeat in the first set, they came to win back-to-back sets, with scores being 25-22 and 25-15. 

After losing a close second set and losing by 10 points in the third, the Lady Hawks needed to win two more sets to beat the Lady Timberwolves. 

In close fashion, the Lady Hawks won the fourth set by a mear two points, winning 25-23, and set the game into the 5th and final match. 

The Lady Hawks would make the comeback by defeating the Lady Timberwolves 15-11 in the final set of the game. 

The final score of this back and forth game ended in a 3-2 victory for the Lady Hawks, being successful in their comeback against the 5A school. 

On October 14th, The Lady Hawks went to visit the Sandpoint Lady Bulldogs(3-10) at Sandpoint High School. 

The Lady Hawks looked to dominate their league rival, and dominate they did. Getting a clean sweep of 3-0 against the Lady Bulldogs. 

In their first set, the Lady Hawks would win by ten points, with the final score being 25-15. With the good start, the Lady Hawks had the momentum. 

The Lady Bulldogs improved from their first set in the next set, yet it wasn’t enough to stop the Lady Hawks from winning the set 25-19. 

The third set of the game would arrive, and the Lady Hawks made it the last one of the game, winning the set 25-16, completing the clean sweep against the Sandpoint Bulldogs. 

With their win against Sandpoint, the Hawks became the 4A Inland Empire League Champions, and have a chance to make it to state. 

The Lady Hawks’ next game is on Thursday, October 21st, at Lakeland High School against the winner of the Tuesday, October 19th matchup between the Sandpoint Bulldogs and the Moscow Bears. 

Advertisements
Ad 3