Lakeland Takes a Win in their Final Doubleheader of the Year

Liam Bradford, Sports Editor

The Lakeland Hawks had an upset win and split with the Sandpoint Bulldogs in a doubleheader on 5/6/21 at Gorton Field. Lakeland won the first game 6-2, with the win credited to Payden Wysong, and the Bulldogs took game two, 9-5, with Ethan Butler getting the win. 

Payden Wysong started game one on the bump for the Hawks and tossed a solid 5.2 innings, allowing three hits, two earned runs, striking out six. This outing was undoubtedly the strongest outing the Hawks have seen from Wysong this year, who has been pitching very well. 

Scott Pote finished the game with 1.1 innings of a solid closing job. 

Evan Williams and Kody Macdonald threw for the Bulldogs in the first game and struck out seven combined. However, they allowed six earned runs which resulted in a tough road loss for Sandpoint. 

Raiston Ellwood, Gunner Vandever, and Nick Nowell all contributed very well offensively in the win, and all got multiple hits. 

Scotty Hocking, Cole Strietzel, Garrett Love, Blaze Day, and Scott Pote also all got hits in the win for Lakeland, each of them getting one. 

Ellwood and Vandever are the only two freshmen to play for varsity, Vanderver who already has two home runs this season has become one of the most productive players this year for the Hawks. At the same time, Ellwood made his varsity debut on Thursday. 

The underclassmen have performed this season for the Hawks better than ever before. 

This win in game one gave the Hawks their second win of the season. The eleven hits recorded by the Hawks in their first game of the Thursday afternoon doubleheader were a season-high for the Hawks. 

In-game two, the Hawks just had too many physical errors, which eventually led to a close, but tough loss. Ethan Butler and Zeke Roop threw for the Bulldogs and allowed 11 hits for the second straight game, six strikeouts, and five earned runs. 

Scott Pote and Josh Mason struck out six and allowed five runs in the combined seven innings between the two. 

Cole Strietzel had quite a second game getting three hits in four at-bats. Nick Nowell had a great day on the diamond and had two hits in both games. 

Evan Williams, Ethan Butler, and Max Thielbahr all had multiple hits in game two.

Advertisements
Ad 3