Lady Hawks Lose in First Game of The Season

Hailey+Gosch+gets+ready+at+shortstop+for+the+ball+at+Coeur+d%E2%80%99Alene+Larry+Schwenke+Field+Tuesday+afternoon.+

Hailey Gosch gets ready at shortstop for the ball at Coeur d’Alene Larry Schwenke Field Tuesday afternoon.

David Tesch, Sports Writer

The Lakeland Hawks Softball team lost their first game of the season to the Coeur d’Alene Vikings Tuesday afternoon with a score of 11-1, ending in the 5th ending due to the 10-run rule. 

There has been a long wait to play softball for these athletes after last season was cut before any games were played due to COVID-19. 

The season started with a matchup against the Coeur d’Alene Vikings, who finished 10-9 and placed 2nd in the 5A Inland Empire in the last full season they played. 

Lakeland finished first in the 4A Inland Empire with a 7-2 conference record and an overall record of 9-15. 

The Matchup was played at Coeur d’Alene High School Larry Schwenke Field, and from the start of the game, the Vikings had the game in their hand. 

Kristine Schmidt struck out seven for the Vikings which was a huge help for the Vikings to get the win over Lakeland. 

Lakeland’s next game will be at Post Falls High School on Saturday, March 20th at 12:00pm. 

Coeur d’Alene Vikings next game will be a double header against Lewiston on Saturday, March 20th at 12:00pm