Game, Set, Match

Tyler+Jacobs+talking+to+tennis+team+after+practice.+

Tyler Jacobs talking to tennis team after practice.

David Tesch, Sports Writer

Game, set, match, the 2021 tennis season has started. Excitement for the season is at an all time high, after last season was cancelled due to the outbreak of COVID-19. 

“We got out early, the weather was nice, got a new assistant coach, it was going to be awesome. Then school closed.” Stated head coach Tyler Jacobs after being asked about last season’s abrupt ending. 

Tennis is a spring sport offered at Lakeland High School, in which the varsity team has 16 players. A standout player on the team is Bradey Manko,  “He has been a leader on our team for the past two year, seeing nothing but great improvement from him”. Coach Jacobs said when asked about the stars on his team. 

Another standout player is Elle Brown. “ Elle Brown is the most dedicated, heartfelt player I have ever coached on the tennis team.” 

The team plays up to 18 matches during the season, with competition like Post Falls, Sandpoint, Coeur d’Alene, Lake City and a new opponent Coeur d’Alene Charter. 

In the last full season, the tennis team became district champions in a win against Sandpoint. Jacobs has the same goal, and is even set on making it to state. “Our mindset, our focus, our attitude and our team’s culture is very supportive of each other. There are no negative attitudes on our team.”

Coach Jacobs advises everyone to come out and watch the Lakeland tennis team, it’s free and exciting.