Heartbreak for Hawks

Hawks lose close game to Post Falls

David Tesch, Sports Writer

Lakeland Hawks(8-8) Noah Haaland and Jalen Skalskiy scored double digit points in a 51-48 loss against the Post Falls Trojans(11-6). 

Lakeland High School held its Senior night at the game against Post Falls. With Noah Haaland, Jalen Skalskiy, Ammon Munyer and George Poteet, all seniors that are leaving Lakeland after this school year. 

Pre-game, the senior players and their families went on half-court and celebrated their accomplishments during their high school career. 

The last time these two teams went against each other, the Trojans won 57-43 at Post Falls High School. 

The gym was packed with tons of parents and students, supporting the basketball team. Being quiet was not going to happen during the game. 

At the start of the game, the Hawks went on a 7-0 scoring run in the first two minutes. With Noah Haaland dominating the first quarter with 2 blocks at the board, and scoring 11 points. At the end of the first, the Hawks were up 20-9. 

Post falls needing to catch up from a huge margin, they scored a total of 18 points in the 2nd half, with four 3’s made by the team. The Hawks were able to keep the lead entering the half with a score of 29-27. 

Ammon Munyer started off the 3rd quarter with the first 4 points scored. The Trojans having to play more aggressively, they guarded Lakeland Hawks Bryce Henry extremely tight, to try to force a turnover. 

The Hawks maintained their lead at the end of the 3rd quarter, with a score of 41-37. 

The Trojans were not gonna give up yet, and proceeded to tie the game with 3 minutes left in the game with a score of 43-43. As close as it was, the Trojans got their first lead in the game with less than 1 minute left in the game. 

Hope was given to the Hawks, when Post Falls fouled Jalen and while he scored in the paint with 11 seconds left. Jalen’s free throw misses and the Trojans were able to rebound it. 

With 7 seconds left, the Hawks fouled Post Falls so they could get a chance to score. Post Falls made both free throws and only gave the hawks 7 seconds to go down the court. 

Bryce Henry passed the ball to the corner to Carson Seay to shoot a three, it hit the rim and the clock hit double zeros. 

The Trojans won the game in stunning fashion with the score being 51-48. 

The Hawks next game will be Thursday, Feb. 18 at 7pm, at Moscow High School against the Moscow Bears. 

Advertisements
Ad 3