The Expenses of Driving Lessons

If one wants to sign up for driver’s education and partake in private driving lessons in Idaho, it can cost around 350 dollars or higher. Unless the local high school provides lessons, they are not free. So, why is it so expensive?

Looking at statistics, it makes sense why driving lessons are so expensive. Some might think that driving instructors work 40 hours a week, making 40-60 dollars an hour, but that is not true. Even if they worked six hours a day, they still do not even work 40 hours a week. On top of that, they do not usually keep all of what they earn. 

Students can not finish a lesson and then move on to the next right after; in the same way, driving instructors can not finish a lesson and move on. They would constantly be driving if it was that way. Driving from one place to another, picking students up, and dropping them off. Even if this was possible, everyone would want to schedule at different times, which might still not work. The fact that they can not work a ton of hours every week adds a little bit of insight as to why it is more expensive to take driving lessons.

If lessons are 40-60 dollars or even less, instructors lose a good bit of that money to other costs. Think of gas. It is especially expensive now. They also have to keep up with their car, ensuring it is safe to drive along with insurance, which is not cheap. 

It all makes sense, but at the same time, it sucks. Here at Lakeland, they do not offer it, so students are left paying that 500 dollars just to be able to drive with an adult only. 

Kaylea Clift said, “Yeah, I liked it because it gives you an idea of what to expect. I think they make you pay too much. Even when they take you in to take your test, they make you pay. I did it online, and they still made me pay. You definitely should not wait until the last minute because it is very stressful, and you do not want to waste your money.”

When I was finally old enough to get my permit, I didn’t even get a choice on whether or not I wanted to pay that much. My parents simply said they would not do it. That is fair enough, but as a 14-year-old, I was not interested in working, so I never did and never got my permit.

Layla Benson, a sophomore who got her license recently, said, “ but I think that it was good because it really put me out there. I don’t think it was worth how much I paid, and there are a lot of other things I could spend my money on. If I had to pay for myself, then I wouldn’t have done it. I am happy and grateful I got it, though, because it’s really nice I don’t have to get rides from others, even though gas is super expensive.”

Many parents cannot pay for that and miss out on the opportunity.

In the end, yes, it is expensive, but people need to remember the instructors need money too. They are not keeping it all for themselves, no matter how much they wish they could. Although everywhere is different, this is how it is in Idaho.

After all this, it makes me think maybe all schools should offer driver’s ed, especially for those who cannot afford it.