Holiday Traditions

Holiday+Traditions

Shelby Larcher, News Writer

Throughout the month of December and during the holiday season people celebrate all different kinds of holidays, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. The most common ones people in this area tend to know about are Christmas and Hanukkah. 

Hanukkah instead of being only one day is an eight-day celebration that follows with a nightly menorah lighting. The lighting is in honor of commemorating the redictation of the Second Temple of Jerusalem. This holiday is mainly celebrated among people of the Jewish community.

Christmas on the other hand is a one-day celebration that follows with presents put under a Christmas tree late on the night of Christmas Eve. This holiday tends to be the most common holiday that is celebrated by the American people. Christmas symbolizes the birth of baby Jesus to people of most religions but this holiday doesn’t have to be religious at all.

The month of December is the most festive time of the year and can typically be the most exciting for the majority of people. Two weeks off of school, snow on the ground, lights everywhere, all the holiday goodies, and so much more. 

Junior, Emalie Clark says that her and her family celebrate Christmas this time of year. Some of her most favorite things to do during the holiday season include baking cookies and watching all sorts of Christmas movies she says. She also says that she doesn’t really know of people that she’s close to who celebrate something else. 

Mia Marquez a sophomore says that her family also “normally just celebrate Christmas.” 

Genelle Hageman in 11th grade says that her family as well celebrates Christmas and doesn’t know anyone who celebrates otherwise. “To be honest there’s not much to like about winter for me because during this time it’s hard to enjoy the holidays when everyone’s stressed out about school and finals,” she says. 

Lots of high school students at Lakeland celebrate the more commonly known holiday, which is Christmas. There are also other people though that may celebrate something completely different, or nothing at all. 

December allows for a multitude of different holidays to be celebrated among all kinds of people.